HackOut is the first-ever, two-day, LGBT-oriented hackathon presented by StartOut. We are looking for individuals or teams that want to change the way we think by hacking a new demo in one weekend. It’s a great way to meet new friends, other entrepreneurs, investors and incubators. Developers, programmers, coders and geeks of all kind will have access to incredible mentors from leading companies like Facebook and IBM and a complimentary $2,000 credit to start building applications on Google App Engine and Google Compute Engine. Rackspace is also donating more than $24,000 in cloud computing services to the winning teams. Curious Cat Company, Facebook, Google, Heroku, Hirestarter, HomeStart, Launch Marketing, Jones Spross PLLC, KCL Foundation, Mortgage Portfolio Services, Rackspace, Stripe and Thinktiv have kindly agreed to underwrite this event.
The first-place winner will also receive $2,500 and an in-kind messaging consulting session from Launch Marketing.Hackathons are an excellent way to merge entrepreneurial spirit with computer programming prowess and product design sensibilities. Students, hackers, programmers, product marketers, and other web enthusiasts can form small teams to create new ventures during the hackathon. Individuals with all levels of experience are welcome to participate, and any viable business idea can form the basis for participants’ hacks.
The first place winner will receive a $2,500 cash prize from StartOut.
CLOUD COMPUTING AWARDS:
1. $24,000 in Rackspace Cloud credits for a 12-month period for the winning teams.
A. $1,000/month for First Place
B. $500/month for Second and Third Place
C. $250/month for Honorable Mentions
2. Google Cloud Platform is offering developers $2,000 of credit to start building applications on Google App Engine and Google Compute Engine during the hackathon weekend. This is available to every team, but you must register one week before to use the Google Cloud credits during HackOut.
MARKETING CONSULTING AWARD:
The first-place winning team will receive a half-day messaging session focused on refining key messages for their company, which can be leveraged as they secure funding, develop partnerships, grow their customer base and more.
For more information email [email protected]
or check out the links below:
Frequently Asked Questions
HackOut Speakers, Mentors & Judges
Saturday, February 15th from 9am to midnight and Sunday, February 16th from 7am to 7pm
Capital Factory, in downtown Austin in the Omni Hotel Building
HACKOUT RULES & CODE OF CONDUCT:
Hack out is to help inspire entrepreneurship and a path towards future startups. A place where imaginative developers go to meet others and build!
1. New Code: We all start coding at the same time. Prior to this time you may work on your design, logo, wireframes, idea validation, digital mockups, you name it. But no coding can be done beforehand.
2. Code Review: Winning teams will be subject to a code-review at some point following the event. This will be to ensure everything was built at the hackathon.
3. Hack away: Feel free to use any tools, tricks, gems, shortcuts, or workarounds you’ve discovered over the years to help you build quickly. Use any frameworks, hosting service, etc., you please, but final submissions must be made using the platform provided.
4. Ownership and IP: Teams have full ownership of everything they build at our events and are free to do with it as they wish.
5. Team Size: Teams of up to 5 humans are allowed.
6. What to Build: Create a prototype of a solution to a problem that can’t be easily found anywhere else.
7. Submissions: Participants need to to register for a free account on Challenge Post in order to submit the final version of their project by 1:00pm of the second day.
Each participant should have received a promo code for Google Cloud Platforms through the confirmation email. If you have not received your promo code, please email [email protected]
And Remember…It’s a hackathon! Use whatever languages or hacks you have in your arsenal. Show us hardware. Show us new concepts. Show us anything you’d like.
8:00am: Doors Open to Sponsors / Sponsor Table Setup
9:00am: Doors Open to Attendees
10:00am: Welcome to HackOut / Team Formation
11:00am: Hackathon begins
12:00pm: Lunch is served
7:00pm: Dinner is served
7:00pm – Midnight: Keep hacking…
7:00am: Doors Open
8:00am: Breakfast is served
12:00pm: Lunch is served
1:00pm: Hackathon ends / Submission due
2:00pm – 4:30pm: Demos and presentations
5:00pm: Winners are announced
5:30pm – 7:00pm: Cocktail Hour / You’ve survived… let’s celebrate!